What is Aflateen?
The Aflateen programme is a curriculum created by the Aflatoun secretariat that brings social and financial education to youth worldwide. Tailored specifically for this developmental phase, the Aflateen programme not only teaches about finance but also encourages young people to question the world around them. They explore concepts such as age, gender, nationality, ethnicity, socio-economic status and religion. Aflateen’s mission is ‘to inspire socially- and economically- empowered young people to lead responsible lives and be agents of change.’ Successfully piloted in 2011 in ten countries, we hope to expand to 50 countries by 2016.
What is Aflateen Digital?
Aflateen Digital is an online, e-learning platform aimed at young people aged 15 and above. It is accessed via the internet, and offers information for users to learn from as well as interactive ways for them to contribute and participate. To do this, the platform uses a range of interactive multimedia content focusing on issues relating to youth rights and responsibilities, financial literacy, and managing social and financial enterprises. It builds on Aflatoun’s philosophy of learning by doing and uses game mechanics, known as ‘gamification’, which allows youth to be rewarded for their participation, sharing and learning. It can be used as a stand-alone learning tool, but also complements well activities in classrooms or clubs. The Aflateen Facebook page (www.facebook.com/Aflateen) was also created for young people to share their Aflateen experiences and to get the latest updates on interesting topics related to social and financial learning.
Who is Aflateen Digital for?
Aflateen Digital is designed predominantly for individual learners who can access the programme at any time or location, and can work through content on their own and at their own pace (asynchronous e-learning). It may also form part of wider instructor-led study with Aflateen clubs, based in educational or community settings (synchronous learning).
What are the goals of Aflateen Digital?
After completing Aflateen Digital program, young people will be able to:
- Examine and reflect on their identities, values and beliefs, as well as their relationship with family, friends and communities
- Critique and investigate how rights are realized or violated in society
- Describe and practice responsible use and accumulation of financial, natural and other kinds of resources (people, planet and profit)
- Demonstrate the ability to conduct planning and budgeting activities towards realizing a desired goal
- Conduct enterprises that have a positive effect in their communities
How will youth learn online?
There are a number of theoretical assumptions underpinning the design of the platform. They are drawn from a range of perspectives that seek to describe the way we learn, and are important in helping us understand how the platform brings about learning and change.
The three core assumptions are:
- The learner actively constructs knowledge, through achieving understanding.
- Learning depends on what we already know, or what we can already do.
- Learning is self-regulated, goal-oriented and cumulative.
Drawing on these principles, the platform’s design and functionality allow for:
- Support in the development of capable, confident and empowered learning identities
- Blended interaction between the platform and the community in which a user lives
- Project-based learning, encouraging users to apply knowledge and skills in the community by formulating and solving realistic problems
- Space for dialogue that facilitates the development of networked learning relationships within and across contexts
How does Aflateen Digital have an impact?
Aflateen Digital presents new and exciting opportunities for promoting learning and effectively assessing outcomes. The platform seeks to achieve these outcomes by engaging and motivating users, and by providing a rich, fun, and immersive learning environment.
The platform provides for both the presentation of educational content and the facilitation of the learning processes. Using a range of learning objects, exercises and activities, users are encouraged to explore, reflect and interact with the material, both on the platform and out in the real world.
Aflateen Digital Theory of Change
Aflateen Digital enables a range of potential outcomes as a result of user engagement:
- Increased understanding of basic concepts such as individual rights and saving
- Increased financial and ICT literacy
- Attitudinal change
- Increased self-efficacy
- Behavioural change, increased rates of saving, etc.
- Improved interpersonal communication and collaboration
- Higher order thinking skills, such as reflexivity
- Knowledge transfer between users, families and communities
- The positive effect of user engagement in the community
Aflatoun, Child Savings International
Spaklerweg 14,1096 BA AmsterdamThe Netherlands
Tel: +31 20 760 1340
Fax: +31 20 626 2118
For all inquiries, please contact:
Chandra Pudjiatie: firstname.lastname@example.org
In collaboration with: ovos media Gmbh (Austria, Vienna), www.ovos.at
The Aflateen Digital Project is committed to protecting the privacy of visitors to our site, the members of our Community and donors to the Project. The Aflateen Digital Project is the sole owner of the information collected on this site.
Typical of most websites, The Aflateen Digital Project collects information from visitors at several different points on this website: the name of your internet service provider, the browser and type of machine you are using, the web site that referred you to us, the pages you request and the date and time you request them. The information we collect is used to improve the content and utility of our web site for visitors. This information is not shared with any other organizations for commercial purposes.
In order to participate in some activities, you might be asked to provide some personal information, such as your name, email address, date of birth. We request this information, on an opt-in basis, to join our Community or sign a petition, for instance. We do not collect personal information from our visitors other than what is supplied to us on a voluntary basis. You may unsubscribe from our e-mail list at any time by contacting email@example.com.
Our site may contain links to other sites that are not managed or maintained by The Aflateen Digital Project. The inclusion of a link to another site does not imply any endorsement of that site’s privacy policies, practices or content. Your dealings with these sites are covered only by the privacy policies listed on those sites.